250 Calorie Meals
Are you trying to cut down, get fit before the summer and you need to fit into all those summery things, and perhaps your personal trainer has advised you that along with the personal training you need to adjust your eating. Perhaps some smaller meals. Well here are a few ideas that are quick and easy and will only take about 250 calories out of your daily allowance.
Easiest of all, a large leafy salad
- 1/2 cup chopped cucumber
- 1/2 cup chopped red pepper
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- Large handful salad leaves of your choice
- 2 chopped salad onions
- Any chopped herbs – parsley, coriander, mint, to add flavour
If you really like salad dressing just try a couple of light sprays of “1 calorie olive oil spray” and sprinkle with a few dashes of balsamic vinegar or a squeeze of fresh lemon or lime juice.
Choose ONE of the following to accompany your salad
- 1/2 cup cooked lentils OR chickpeas OR quinoa
- 1 small cooked chicken breast – this could be oven cooked (cook more than one then you’ll have have one for another meal). Put the chicken breast in foil and top with small amount of grated garlic and chopped fresh chilli, give a couple of sprays of “1 calorie olive oil spray” and lightly seal foil. Cook for about 20 mins.
- 100g drained tinned tuna (in water)
- 100g white fish – cod / haddock, try cooking the fish the same way as chicken – in the oven and in foil, maybe adding a few fresh herbs, a squeeze of lemon or lime, salt and pepper. Cook for about 15-20 mins.
- An omelette made from 1 medium whole egg and 2 egg whites only, this will make a satisfying omelette with a lot less calories. Add some fresh herbs for some extra taste.
If you fancy something hot, try a stir fry instead of the salad
- 1 cup broccoli chopped
- 1/2 small onion slices
- 1/2 cup red pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup mushrooms chopped
- 1 head of pak choi shredded
- 1/2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 small fresh chilli pepper deseeded and chopped
- Small piece of lemongrass trimmed and finely chopped
- 1tbsp soy sauce
Spray pan with “1 calorie olive oil spray”, fry onion for couple of minutes, add lemongrass, ginger, chilli, pepper, mushrooms, broccoli and stir fry for 2 minutes. Add pak choi for further 2 minutes, sprinkle with soy sauce, tossing everything together for 2-3 minutes.
Serve with one of the protein portions as with salad.
Another hot dish is a vegetable bake and once again can be served with any one of the protein choices
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup red pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup button mushrooms
- 100g asparagus
Lightly spray the vegetables with “1 calorie olive oil spray” season with salt and pepper and maybe a few chilli flakes if liked. Roast in ovenproof dish for about 30 mins. Serve with protein choice
1/2 cucumber, spiralised or use julienne peeler
1/2 cup cauliflower florets
1/2 small red onion finely chopped
1 heaped tbsp chopped parsley
1/2 tbsp chopped mint
1 tbsp lemon juice
Zest of half lemon
Salt and pepper
Large ripe tomato, skinned, deseeded and finely chopped
Pat the cucumber noodles to remove moisture.
Pulse cauliflower in food processor until rice like
Add all ingredients except cucumber and tomato and pulse until combined
Add cucumber noodles and tomato and toss well to combine
Again this can be eaten with one of the protein choices
Try some warming soup, this will make 2 portions, have one today one tomorrow
Carrot and red lentil soup
1 finely sliced white onion
3 garlic cloves, sliced
1 cup diced carrot
85g red lentils
1 vegetable stock cube
Handful chopped parsley
Spray pan with “1 calorie olive oil spray”, add onion and fry for 2 mins. Add carrots and garlic and cook for another 3 – 4 mins.
Add in 1 litre of boiling water, stir in the lentils and stock cube, then cover the pan and cook over a medium heat for 15 mins until the lentils are tender. Take off the heat and stir in the parsley.
Healthy green soup
500ml vegetable stock (half stock cube)
2 garlic cloves, sliced
Small piece fresh ginger, chopped
½ tsp ground coriander
3cm piece fresh turmeric root, peeled and grated, or ½ tsp ground turmeric
pinch of pink Himalayan salt
1 medium courgette, sliced
1 cup chopped broccoli
1 cup chopped kale
1 lime, zest and juice
small pack parsley, chopped
Spray deep pan with “1 calorie olive oil spray” add the garlic, ginger, coriander, turmeric and salt, fry on a medium heat for 2 mins, then add 3 tbsp water to give a bit more moisture to the spices.
Add the courgettes, making sure you mix well to coat the slices in all the spices, and continue cooking for 3 mins.
Add 400ml stock and leave to simmer for 3 mins.
Add the broccoli, kale and lime juice with the rest of the stock. Leave to cook again for another 3-4 mins until all the vegetables are soft.
Take off the heat and add the most of the chopped parsley.
Pour everything into a blender and blend on high speed until smooth. Garnish with lime zest and bit of parsley.
This makes 2 servings and is very low in calories and could be served with a small baked sweet potato