So your trying really hard to stick to that beach body summer diet and doing your squats, sprints, lunges and deadlifts but you just can’t get that slice of cake out of your mind. Well for get the cake and give these fitness snacks a try. While I don’t suggest eating them all day long, they are a good healthy alternative to the horrible processed cakes and baked good you get in the shops and you can alter the sweetness of them to your taste. As a personal trainer it is important to me to keep my clients happy and for them to not feel starved or like they are restricting themselves to much. These fitness snacks are a good way to keep people on the right track and not to far away from their diet.
Date & Quinoa Muffins
- 300g quinoa
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 60g melted butter
- 3 eggs
- 2 bananas
- 1tsp bicarbonate soft soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 8 tbsp milled flaxseed
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 150g stoned dates
1. Soak the quinoa in water and 1 tbsp of lemon juice overnight. Drain quinoa and rinse well, drain.
2. Preheat oven 180C. Line a 12 hole muffins tin with paper muffin cases.
3. Put all the remaining ingredients into food processor and blend until smooth.
4. Divide between muffins cases and bake for 40-45 minutes.
5. Cool, serve, enjoy. Good cut and spread with cream cheese.
These pancakes are easy, they are cooked in the oven. Any left over pancakes can be refrigerated and used later, just as delicious cold with fresh fruit.
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 250g ground almonds
- 25g flaked almonds to sprinkle on pancakes
1. Preheat oven 180C. Line 2 baking sheets with baking parchment lightly brushed with melted butter or rapeseed oil.
2.Put the first 4 ingredients plus pinch of salt into food processor until you have a smooth batter.
3.Spoon the mixture onto the trays (2 tbsp for each pancake). Smooth with spoon to spread them slightly. Sprinkle with a few flaked almonds. You may need to cook these in batches. Bake for about 10 minutes.
4.Serve with raspberries, strawberries, blueberries or fruit of your choice and sprinkle with any remaining flaked almonds.
These are also good with a spoonful of plain yoghurt.
At Leigh Carter Personal Training we like to help our clients achieve all their goals with ease, its important that their nutritional needs are taken care of so that a healthy and lean body is a standard.