Home made energy bars
The perfect snack or speedy breakfast full of good fats and protein keep you fuller longer and give you energy.
- 150g crunchy peanut butter (or other nut butter of choice)with no added sugar
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 egg
- 100ml runny honey
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 250g jumbo rolled oats
- 1tsp baking powder
- 5tbsp mixed seeds
- 100g chopped dates
- 75g nuts of choice (cashews, walnuts, almonds) roughly chopped
1. Preheat oven to 190°C In a large bowl, mix together nut butter, bananas, honey, egg and vanilla extract.
2. Add oats, baking powder, ¼tsp salt, 4tbsp seeds, dates and chopped nuts. Mix well. Press mixture into a lightly greased, lined 20.5cm x 20.5cm baking tin and sprinkle with the remaining 1tbsp seeds.
3. Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden brown and firm. Cool in the tin before cutting into bars. Makes about 16 depending on the size you want to cut them.
At Leigh Carter Personal Training Milton Keynes we like to help our clients with the planning of there weekly diets. Ideas like these energy bars are great as they can be prepared in advance and help when there is no time to prepare a good breakfast or a quick snack to keep you going until dinner time. It is important to us that we educate our clients in how to maintain there weight correctly but also enjoy the food they eat. Cooking things like this help you understand what goes into food so that you can make educated decisions on how much to eat.