Hows your weight
How is your weight? Do you monitor it and how? Perhaps you are always jumping on the scales, or you keep an eye on how tight your waistband feels. Perhaps you use the scientific measurement – your BMI (body mass index). When it comes to our weight, the figures are sometimes just as important as how happy and confident we feel in ourselves, but it is still crucial to know where we are in terms of being overweight as medical research is finding increasing links between obesity and serious illness.
Well here is an easy way to tell if you are on the right track or should maybe consider making a few small lifestyle changes and dropping a few pounds.
It’s called the waist-to-height ratio and it is now proven to be a more accurate way to tell if you are overweight than calculating your BMI. It’s also great because you can do it at home, in under 10 minutes.
Here’s what you do –
- Cut a piece of string to the length of your height
- Fold the string in half
- Wrap it around your waist
- If it overlaps that’s good. If it’s snug, you could be more at risk for heart disease or diabetes
- Healthy weight – if the ends overlap, your waist is half your height
- Overweight – if the string is snug, you should consider losing a bit of weight