Try these spicy burgers with crispy salad for a tasty, light lunch.
For the burgers
- 400g can chickpeas, drained
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp ground almonds
- 2 tsp harissa
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 3 tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 tsp rapeseed oil, for frying
For the salad
- 1 tbsp raisins
- 1 carrot, shaved into ribbons with a peeler
- 1 courgette, shaved into ribbons with a peeler
- 5 radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 handfuls from a bag of watercress, rocket & spinach
- 1 tsp each hemp or rapeseed oil and white wine vinegar
Tip the chickpeas, garlic, egg, almonds, harissa and cumin into a bowl and blitz with a hand blender until smooth. Stir in the parsley. Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan and dollop in the mixture in 8 big spoonfuls, spaced apart. Cook for 5 mins on each side.
For the salad, toss the raisins and all the veg together, but don’t dress with the oil and vinegar until you are about to eat. Serves 2
Or this tasty bean salad with a yoghurt and avocado dressing
- 2 round wholemeal pitta breads, split in half and cut into triangles
- 200g frozen broad beans
- 1 avocado, flesh scooped out
- small pack parsley
- 8 tbsp natural yogurt
- 1 garlic clove, roughly chopped
- 1 lemon, zest of ½, juice of whole
- 2 Little Gem lettuces, roughly chopped
- 400g can white beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 10 radishes, halved
Heat grill to high. Spread the pitta triangles out in a shallow baking tray. Toast for a couple of mins to crisp, turning once. Once toasted, remove and place to one side.
Drop the broad beans in boiling water and cook for 2-3 mins, then drain and remove the bright green pod from the hard outer shell.
In a blender, whizz together the avocado, parsley, yogurt, garlic, lemon juice and zest and seasoning.
Put the remaining ingredients in a bowl, except the cress. Toss together with the avocado and yogurt dressing, eat with toasted pittas. Serves 4