Personal Trainer Food
Personal Trainer Food is food that I love and food that is good for your body. I have compiled a list of quick and easy familiar recipes aimed at health and fitness. When training hard all week there seems like little point in ruining your results by eating junk food. Try these recipes and let me know what you think. Personal Training with Leigh Carter means that you get the workouts you need and the food to power them.
Kale Fitness Salad
Enjoy with the protein of your choice: hard boiled eggs, baked chicken, steak etc.
- 2 cups kale
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ large avocado
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
1. Wash the kale. Remove the stems and tear kale into bite-sized pieces.
2. Pour 1 tbsp olive oil on top of the kale, add a little salt and pepper and massage the kale leaves from about 1 minute. You’ll see the colour change to a darker more vibrant green and the leaves soften a bit.
3. Slice the ¼ avocado into cubes and add in the 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds.
Personal Trainer Celeriac and chicken bake
- Celeriac x 2
- Apple x 2
- Onion x 2
- Salt and Pepper
- Olive Oil
1. Wash celeriac and cut off any surface areas with root hairs.
2. Peel onion.
3. Chop all veggies to a similar in size to ensure even roasting.
4. Lightly coat with olive oil.
5. Season to taste.
6. Place on rimmed baking sheet.
7. Roast at 400 for approximately 20minutes or until all vegetables are tender and slightly browned.
8. Add Chicken you can place the cubes right on top of the veggies to cook – just roast until chicken is thoroughly cooked.
Ground beef and butternut Squash awesomeness for powering squats
- 2-3 lbs of Grass-fed ground beef
- 1 large onion
- 1 pack of pre-cut butternut squash
- Handful of roasted pine nuts
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Garlic powder or 2 cloves
- Cinnamon (to taste)
- Allspice (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons of butter
1. Place butternut squash in skillet with butter and sauté for roughly 15mintues, ensure it is tender.
2. Add onion to the butternut squash. These can cook together.
3. Once the vegetables are almost tender add the ground beef and spices.
4. Cook until ground beef is done and butternut squash is fork tender.
5. Top with roasted pine nuts.
Cauliflower Mash for fitness freaks
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1 bunch of carrots
- Butter (grass-fed is best)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Garlic power (optional)
- If you are eating dairy a small addition of grass-fed cream or a dollop of sour-cream goes well.
1. Place a large pot of water on the stove and let come to a boil.
2. Chop cauliflower and carrots into chunks and boil until fork tender.
3. Place vegetables with a small amount of the water from the stove into blender, season, and puree and pour into a separate bowl.
4. Repeat until complete and then season to taste.
Lemon Salmon quick cook for six pack abs
- Thyme or your favorite fresh herbs
- Whole grain mustard
- Salt and pepper
1. Melt butter in baking dish
2. Slice lemon and place fresh thyme or any herb you like
3. Lay salmon on top
4. Salt and pepper to taste
5. Spoon mustard on top
Bake at 400 for 30 min or until done.
Personal Trainer Broccoli and Egg muffins
- 6 eggs
- 4 tbsp melted butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp onion or garlic powder
- 4 tbsp coconut flour
- 8oz. cheddar cheese (cut up or buy it shredded)
- 1 cup thin sliced deli ham, turkey, bacon – your choice! (cut this into small chunks)
- 1/2 cup (or more if desired) of broccoli heads chopped finely
- 1/4 cup onion
1. Sauté the onions until soft and then add in broccoli, let cool.
2. Beat eggs, salt, garlic powder, and butter together.
3. Add coconut flour until smooth.
4. Fold in cheese, protein, and broccoli and onions.
5. Bake at 400 for about 15
6. Makes about 12 muffins.
Personal Training Almond Crackers
- 1 cup almond flour (or 1/2c almond flour, 1/2c crumbled almonds)
- 1 egg white
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
1. Mix all ingredients well in a small bowl, everything should be moist and the dough should hold together.
2. Place the dough on a well-greased sheet of parchment paper or heavy-duty aluminum foil, about 15×18? .
3. Cover the dough with a piece of wax paper that’s been sprayed with non-stick spray.
4. Roll out the dough to about 1/8? thick or slightly thinner,try to get the dough to an even thickness, you can also carefully peel up the wax paper and reshape the dough to get it as close to rectangular as possible, about 9×9? square.
5. Replace the wax paper and continue rolling until even.
6.Peel off the wax paper and use a cutter to score the dough into approximately 48 1-inch squares.
7. Lift the foil and set it on the oven rack and bake them at 325º for 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown.
8. Check after 10 minutes and if crackers at outer edge are getting pretty brown, remove those and continue baking the rest until golden, use a thin metal spatula to very gently pry the crackers from the foil.
9. Break them apart on the score lines and let cool.
Personal Trainer Meatloaf & Cauliflower Mash
- 2lbs ground grass fed beef
- 4 eggs
- chopped celery, carrots, onions (I buy the prepared mix – huge time saver!)
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- soy sauce
- Low Carb Ketchup
- Salt & Pepper
1. Sauté veggies in butter till tender.
2.Mix everything else together in a big bowl with a spoon or hands (make sure to wash with soap after!!).
3. Add in veggies. Mix.
4. Place combined mixture into pan. Bake at 350 for 1hr. 15 min. or until completely done.
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1/2 cup grass fed cream
- 4 tablespoon of pasture (grass fed) butter
- Salt, Pepper and Garllic powder to taste
1. Break cauliflower into florets and steam until tender (about 10 min).
2. Pour our steamed florets into a blender or food processor. Blend. Pour in cream, butter, spices to taste.
Awesome Personal Trainer Stir Fry
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1lb protein of choice (chicken, shrimp, beef, pork)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1/2 red pepper, diced (could also add brocolli)
- 4 green onions, thinly slices
- 2 – 3 TBS soy sauce
1. Cut the cauliflower into small florets and pulse the cauliflower in batches in your food processor until its in rice-sized pieces
2. Cook your protein of choice in a skillet until cooked through. Transfer to a bowl.
3. Whisk the eggs and scramble them in the skillet. Transfer to a bowl.
4. Wipe the skillet clean and warm 1 TBS of oil. Add the ginger and garlic, and saute for 30 seconds. Stir in carrots and other veggies and saute for another 2 minutes.
5. Add the cauliflower, lower the heat to medium, cover the pan and cook for 5 – 8 minutes.
6. Uncover and stir in protein, eggs, soy sauce and scallions.
Personal Trainer Brussel Sprout and egg dish
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 2 big handfuls cremini mushrooms; sliced in quarters
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 big handfuls brussels sprouts; shaved/thinly sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- juice of half a lemon
- 1 scant tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large eggs (or more!)
1. In a medium skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.
2. Add shallots and cook until translucent and just browned, about 4 minutes.
3. Addthe mushrooms and a pinch of salt. Cook down until mushrooms are softened and beginning to brown.
4. Add garlic and cook for another minute.
5. Add brussels sprout ribbons and increase heat to medium-high. Toss to combine and cook until brussels and mushrooms are softened and extra browned. Once browned and cooked well, remove from the heat, add lemon juice, and toss.
6. In a separate sauce pan heat olive oil over medium-low heat. Crack eggs into the pan and cook.
7. Place eggs on top of each hash bowl and serve immediately.
Tuna Curry Fitness Salad
- 6oz can of tuna packed in water and drained
- 2-4 tablespoons of greek yogurt (instead of mayo)
- 1/2 teaspoon of curry powder (you can always add more!)
- Finely chopped celery to taste
- Finely chopped scallions to taste
- Chopped tomatoes (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Mix everything together in bowl making sure to break up the chunks of tuna.
Cover and refrigerate at least 20 minutes.
Personal Trainer Cobb Salad
- Mixed greens or romaine lettuce
- 1 hard-cooked egg
- 1 heaping tablespoon of cooked bacon
- 1 cup chicken, cooked and cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup of grape tomatoes
- 1/4 cheddar or blue cheese (or your favorite cheese)
- 1/2 an avocado, chopped
Avocado Fitness Salad
Ingredients for the Dressing:
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp grainy mustard
- 1 tsp thyme, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 bag mixed salad greens (and/or pea shoots, baby spinach, etc.)
- 2 tbsp cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 2 scallions, sliced
1. Combine first 6 dressing ingredients in a bowl large enough to toss salad in.
2. Whisk while adding olive oil in a thin stream.
3. Toss greens and cilantro in dressing to coat.
4. Arrange avocado slices on top and sprinkle with chopped scallions.
5. Add your favorite protein.(Chicken or tinned fish)
Cilantro & Lime Cauliflower rice
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1/4 cup of cilantro finely chopped
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 2 tbsp of coconut oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Cut the core out of the cauliflower and cut it into small chunks.
2. It’s important to do the next step in small batches. Add pieces of raw cauliflower then pulse until it breaks up and looks like small “rice” pieces. Don’t overfill the food processor because you will end up with some cauliflower being too small and other pieces too big. You might have to scrape the sides once or twice.
3. In a heavy bottomed pan at medium high heat, add the coconut oil and saute the onions and garlic with some salt and pepper until translucent.
4. Add the cauliflower and saute it for a few minutes. You are looking to brown it a little. Season with salt and pepper.
Once it no longer tastes raw, turn the heat off, and mix in the cilantro, zest, and lime juice.
Asian Beef Personal Trainer goodness
- 4 lbs of grass fed beef chuck and/or sirloin
- 1/2 cup of freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 cup of soy sauce
- 1/2 cup wheat-free tamari sauce
- 2 tbsp. of green curry paste
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/2 cup of peanut butter*
- 1/4 cup of lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. of red chilli paste
- 1 inch of freshly grated ginger
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- Sriracha to taste
1. Cut the beef into 1 inch chunks.
2. Combine the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl.
3. Marinade the beef overnight.
4. Place the beef in a single layer in a sheet pan and broil for 5-8 minutes on each side.
5. Combine all of the ingredients for the peanut sauce in food processor and blend until smooth. You can replace almonds for peanuts if you like.