Personal Trainers are a great way to get a lot of useful researched information with regards your health and fitness. Constantly finding new ways to exercise and new healthy foods to indulge in is a passion of mine. Here is some helpful tips to get the oat out of the summer vegetables.
The abundance of summer fruits and veg makes it easier than ever to eat your daily quota. To improve the fruit and veg that you are eating, try:
- Ditching your peeler as up to 25% of a vegetable’s nutrients are in the skin.
- Steam or boil in just a little water. Vitamins leach into water, so the less there is, the less you lose. Better still, try grating raw vegetables such as carrot and beetroot into salads.
- Buy local and in season when you can. Try your local markets often the fresher the produce, the higher the nutrients.
- Freeze little bags of berries, grapes, cherries and slices of peach, plum and banana to satisfy sweet cravings rather than reaching for sugar-laden bought desserts.
- Help yourself with herbs. Add digestive-easing fresh mint to drinks, antioxidant-packed thyme to meats for the barbecue, and throw natural-diuretic parsley into salads to ease bloating.
- Drizzle salad and veg with oil. This helps your body absorb many of the antioxidants that are good for your immune system, skin and heart.
A wonderful way to combine some of the very best salad ingredients
FOR THE DRESSING
- 2 tbsp white wine or sherry vinegar
- Large pinch English mustard powder
- 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed (optional)
FOR THE SALAD
- 3 avocados, peeled, stoned and thickly sliced
- 1 small crisp lettuce, roughly chopped
- 2 lettuce hearts, torn into bite-size pieces
- 2 small courgettes, pared into long thin ribbons using a potato peeler
- 100g bag washed watercress, spinach or rocket, torn into bite-size pieces
- Handful of chopped herbs – parsley, mint, basil
- Whisk together dressing ingredients in a large bowl. Add avocado slices and toss gently to mix. If preparing ahead, put into an airtight container and refrigerate.
- Put all the lettuce into a large salad bowl, add the courgettes, watercress, spinach or rocket and the chopped herbs. Pour on dressing shortly before serving and toss gently. Serve with grilled chicken, fish or just on its own.