Tarka Dhal a totally fresh, healthy meal, full of flavours, just right for a chilly autumnal evening
- 300g red split lentils, rinsed
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 100g spinach leaves
- 100g baby tomatoes, halved
- 2 limes, zest of 2 and juice of 1
- 2 shallots, finely sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 30g fresh ginger, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 2 red chillies finely sliced
- Large bunch of coriander, stalks and leaves finely chopped
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp black mustard seeds
Put lentils in pan with 1 litre of water. Bring to boil the take any scum off the surface, add turmeric and simmer gently for 25 mins stirring occasionally until lentils are soft and creamy. Stir in spinach, tomatoes, lime zest and juice. Season with salt to taste and keep warm.
Heat oil in pan and add shallots, garlic, ginger and chillies, fry over medium heat for 5-8 mins until soft and golden. Add coriander stalks and spices cook for 1-2 mins until mustard seeds pop.
Stir with coriander leaves into the lentils and cover, leave for 5 mins. Serve with lime wedges and boiled basmati rice.