Turn your day into a workout
Sometimes there simply are not enough hours in the day to get everything done and sadly working out seems to be something that slips a little when people are busy with work or the kids. However when you are focused on a particular health and fitness goal and your time is limited it seems sad that you can’t fit that workout in somewhere in the day. Now a lot of time can be saved by planning in advance and preparing food etc on the weekend. But some days its just impossible and certain things in your life have to become the priority. Once I have trained someone for a while and they have transitioned from a person that hates exercise to one that feels like a day is not complete if they have not worked out, they get quite frustrated when other stuff gets in the way of their workout. So they often ask me what can I do ? Should I eat a bit less today or workout twice tomorrow ? Firstly yes if you are planning on doing significantly less movement than a normal day then you should eat a little less but do not starve yourself because that will work against you eventually. Secondly to work out twice the next day also doesn’t really solve any problems usually because the following day you will be too tired to work out properly due to your previous day double workout ! So my solution is this:
Turn your day into a workout
Your day is full of things that if changed around a little would almost represent a workout ! Below are some of my suggestions as to what you could be doing on that “far to busy to work out day ”
- Always take the stairs, forget the elevator and turn those stairs into upward lunges. Take two steps at a time and lunge your way to the top! Carry your shopping bags to get that extra bit of weight involved.
- If your at home looking after the baby turn playing with them into a workout, do some squats whilst holding them they will love the movement! click here for a video of someone training with there baby for more ideas
- If the kids are a little older and you’re at home in the evening watching some television with them try doing an exercise for every time the commercials are on, some squats, lunges, pushups anything will do and you could even get the kids involved. This is a great one for when you’re watching the game.
- Walk everywhere if you have to get something from the shops or run an errand do it on foot and keep the pace high. Ditch that truck for the day.
- Whilst speaking to a friend the other day he mentioned that his office do 20 squats every hour of the day, everyone joins in and it keeps people alert and more focused on there work. Think of that, its seems like such a small thing but over the course of the week that’s 800 squats! Wow when was the last time you did 800 squats?
- Play with your children! Rather than amusing them inside get out and run about with them. Get a soft medicine ball and throw it about, climb up and over things with them, jump! Use your body and encourage them to do the same as they will always follow what you do and wouldn’t you like them to be fit and strong.
So as you can see there are endless ways to turn your day into a workout, so why not make some up yourself and keep fit whilst you get on with your day.
At Leigh Carter Personal Training Milton Keynes we specialize in getting our clients fit and healthy no matter what there schedule or budget is.